Friday August 17, 2018
August usually brings warm weather making it a perfect time to relax in your garden. But, like any part of your home, there are certain jobs that need to be done to keep it looking good.
Follow our guide for tips on how to keep your garden looking good so you can relax in your outdoor space.
Looking after your flowers
- Regularly water patio pots, container plants and hanging baskets and feed them once a week.
- Dead-head bedding plants to encourage flowering in the autumn.
- If your dahlias and lilies have become ‘lanky’ use a stake to keep them upright and protected against the wind and rain.
- Cut back roses once they have finished flowering to ensure they grow back healthy the following year.
- Now is a good time to prepare the ground for turfing or seeding.
In the fruit & vegetable garden
- Keep watering and feeding tomato plants.
- Pick small shiny courgettes on a regular basis using a sharp knife or scissors.
- August is a good time to sow spring cabbage, winter lettuce, and radish.
- Use netting or old potato sacks to cover your fruit and berries to stop the birds feasting on them!
- Pinch out climbing shoots when your runner beans reach the top of their support.
- Keep plants that are in flower or have fruits growing on them, hydrated by watering them on a regular basis.
- Feed citrus plants like lemons, and oranges with a good quality citrus fertiliser.
- Onions and garlic can be harvested once the green part of the plant has turned yellow and wilted.
Have a luscious lawn
- Keep your grass slightly longer when the weather is very warm, by raising the blades on your lawnmower.
- If your lawn has gone yellow, use a garden sprinkler in the evening (unless there is a hosepipe ban).
- Weeds can wreck your lawn by taking the moisture out of it, so make sure you pull them out as and when you see them.
- Mow your lawn on a regular basis and aerate and water it thoroughly, especially if the weather is very hot and there has been a lack of rain.
If you find that looking after your garden is a chore that you don’t have time for, contact us on 0345 226 1293 and let us take on this responsibility for you.