Friday July 6, 2018
You may think that hiring a domestic cleaner is only reserved for the rich, famous or those with a few quid in their pockets. However, the reality is far from that. Our lifestyles are a lot busier these days; juggling work, family commitments whilst trying to have some free-time, has led to one in four households now calling in the professionals. So, let’s take a look into the things to consider when hiring an extra pair of hands.
- COST – For a lot of people this will be the number one factor when deciding whether to hire a cleaner or not. It’s best to ask the cleaning company for a quote before you agree to any work being done, so you know what is included and what isn’t. Usually, if you hire a cleaning company they will provide the cleaning gear and products, whereas an individual cleaner may ask you to buy the products, so it’s always best to check beforehand.
- CLEANING COMPANY OR INDIVIDUAL CLEANER? – You might find that using a cleaning company is a little bit pricier than hiring an individual. But, the flip side of this is that you’ll know you won’t be left in the lurch due to staff sickness or holidays. Whereas an individual cleaner may not have anyone to cover for them if they are ill or go on holiday. You might be happier with an individual cleaner because you know you’ll see the same person each week. However, saying that, some cleaning companies like to use the same member of staff for regular cleaning jobs, as they understand the importance of building up a rapport with the customer.
SECURITY – Remember you are inviting strangers into your home (sometimes when you are not there) so you’ll want to make sure that they have gone through the relevant security checks. Most reputable cleaning companies will always make their staff go through security checks before employment is offered, but always ask if this has been done, as it is better to be safe than sorry. Likewise, with an individual, don’t be afraid to ask them.
- EXPERIENCE & REVIEWS– As with any service that you buy, you’ll want to know how much experience the company or individual has in their trade. A cleaning company that has been around for a while will usually have reviews by customers, on their website (if they have one) or listings like Google, Yell and Checkatrade. They may also have social media pages like Facebook and Twitter, so it’s worth having a look at those to see what comments have been left by customers. An individual may have the same, but if they don’t then you’ll have to ask for references from past employers.
- ARE THEY RELIABLE? – You can find this out by looking at reviews, but also by asking the company or individual how often they can come out to your property and what happens if their staff go off sick or on holiday.
- WHAT ARE THEIR SERVICES? – If they have a website have a look at the services they offer and then you can contact them for further information or a quote. Make sure that you give them as much information as possible so they can give you an accurate quote. You’ll be surprised how many people ask us to quote for a carpet clean, but don’t tell us which room!
- CONTRACT - It’s always a good idea to have a contract drawn up between yourself and the cleaning company or individual, as this will confirm information like what is included, how often your cleaner will visit, cost, etc.
- DO THEY HAVE INSURANCE? If you have a tradesperson coming into your home, you will want to make sure that they have comprehensive insurance cover in place, just in case they damage a part of your home whilst working there.
If you are looking to hire a first-class professional domestic cleaning company then contact us today on 0345 226 1293.